Monday, October 01, 2007

A case for 511

I was driving back from visiting my mom in Missisippi yesterday and was on I-20 between Birmingham an Anniston.  There was a wreck on the Coosa River bridge and westbound traffic (not my way!) was backed up for 4-5 miles.  Georgia just got 511 going this year but Alabama does not have its system going yet. A research study said one could be up by 2005 but it did not occur.  http://utca.eng.ua.edu/projects/final_reports/03401fnl.pdf
All states are supposed to have 511 by 2011.
 
Looking at this backup the drivers are helpless and depend on local radio (what's that in this age of corporate radio?) to know about such events.  I come to realize that in rural areas, the ability to give drivers advance word on such events and give recommended detours is of high importance.--JKG

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home